What purpose does palm oil serve in our food ?
Palm oil is an ingredient with natural qualities that enhance many recipes :
- It is naturally solid at room temperature
- It creates a moist, melt-in-your-mouth texture
- It eliminates the need to resort to the once-common partial hydrogenation process used to give oils texture. This process can produce trans-fatty acids, which are the substance to be avoided. In fact, many manufacturers began using palm oil to eliminate trans-fatty acids from their products.
- Its neutral taste lets the other flavours come through
- It stands up very well to oxidation and does not turn rancid, leading to better product conservation and reducing or eliminating the use of preservatives.